POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : New tutorial about 2D screen coordinates : Re: New tutorial about 2D screen coordinates Server Time
19 Apr 2024 11:27:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New tutorial about 2D screen coordinates
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Sep 2018 22:00:01
Message: <web.5b8b42f13848ca56a47873e10@news.povray.org>
> For ages I have been using Norbert Kern's
> position_finder.pov macro from 2006

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/attachment/%3Cweb.4478509041a06b1c9bff7e8b0%40news.povray.org%3E/p
osition_finder.pov.txt

For anyone who's interested, here's the link to Norbert's original post (which
took me awhile to find)...

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.44784f2141a06b1c9bff7e8b0%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=423977
&toff=3700

It's not very detailed, unfortunately.

Thomas, I've been playing around with his code, and I see where some
improvements can be made. One of the problems I've come across is that the code
itself seems to be built around a 'backward'-facing camera (i.e., the camera
position and look_at point resulting in a -z look_at direction.) With a regular
forward-facing camera, the code produces some odd results (and fixing things is
apparently not just a simple matter of tweaking only one thing.) But I'm
continuing to work at it...and to find some way to improve it's accuracy (which
I suspect is due to whatever particular camera angle is used-- it *seems* to be
more accurate with a 'zoom' angle rather than wide-angle.) It's quite a
'magical' piece of code otherwise.