POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : qtpovray and debian : Re: qtpovray and debian Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:07:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: qtpovray and debian
From: jr
Date: 22 Jun 2018 19:55:01
Message: <web.5b2d8b031b94875a635cc5ad0@news.povray.org>
hi,

dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> > spot on.  adding that option allows the process to progress until make enters
> > the 'qt/gui' directory, when compilation fails with missing headers (eg
> > QtWidgets).
>
> The correct magic words are
> CONFIG += c++11
>
> in each of the .pro files.

ah, thank you for that.  qmake documentation is not installed on my machine.

> > I'll need to think whether I really want to upgrade (from 4.8.7) to 5.11, I
>
> I don't think qtpovray will build with Qt-4.8.

correct, it's missing all the frontend stuff it seems.  (unless my memory is
totally off, the library is organised substantially different from the 3.0
version I upgraded to all these years ago)

> > remember it (building from source) being a seriously lengthy affair in 2010 or
> > so.
> which is why I finally switched from slackware to ubuntu.  Upgrading
> apache and tomcat and php just became more tedious than I wanted.

yes, the java stuff always needed .. that bit extra.

if I do find the source, I likely will upgrade[*], it's just .. an unwelcome
addition on the ever-increasing todo list.

[*] I really am quite curious now to see 'qtpovray' live.

> > in addition, I have not even found the source archive on the qt-project.org
> > website yet, only link(s) to online installers.  </sigh>
> On 06/22/2018 12:12 PM, jr wrote:
>  > btw, replying to clipka you wrote: "99% of packages don't do symlinks."
>  > the Slackware 'makepkg' does, just like .. "the big boys".:-)
> Yes.  If you want to see symlink hell try RedHat.  Everything is
> minimally a symlink to a symlink. Everything; even the files in /etc

:-)  cannot be avoided though, if only for shared lib names.  'makepkg' is
reasonably smart.  it looks for existing symlinks in the compiled and built
s/ware, and generates a shell script which re-creates the links at the end of
the install.

regards, jr.