POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : User:clipka assumed_gamma : Re: User:clipka assumed_gamma Server Time
23 Apr 2024 23:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: User:clipka assumed_gamma
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Nov 2017 02:25:01
Message: <web.5a13d3a872941d1089df8d30@news.povray.org>
> Am 21.11.2017 um 01:58 schrieb clipka:
> > Am 21.11.2017 um 01:47 schrieb Kenneth:
> >
> >> Something else I noticed...
> >
> > .... was already outdated by the time you pressed the "send" button ;)
>
> (Your post, that is. The Wiki article was /no longer/ outdated by that
> time ;))

So I see!! Hey, that's a good magic trick ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to write such an understandable and all-inclusive
gamma   primer for POV-Ray.

The *only* small addition I can think of that might be useful would be to
mention that most image-viewer apps-- even modern ones-- may not be showing the
*actual* embedded gamma of a PNG image. (I'm thinking of our discussions re:
I've's IC/Lilysoft app, which *does* show the proper embedded gamma, especially
when that gamma is wrong.) I would imagine that many POV-Ray users might jump to
the opposite conclusion (uh, like I did)-- that most apps are 'correct' and that
IC (or some other likewise-correct app) is actually at fault when a PNG's
embedded gamma is plain wrong.

I admit that this is probably a 'special case' scenario, one that most users
would almost never run into. But as a general note about PNG and the current
state of modern viewing apps, it seems appropriate.