POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Emitting media : Re: Emitting media Server Time
19 Apr 2024 12:54:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emitting media
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Sep 2017 18:20:01
Message: <web.59a9db8ca4b127e9883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > Adding an identical pure-color ABSORPTION media (or even its complementary
> > color)-- to try and *force* some opacity-- doesn't work either.
> >

> Trying things the following scene looks like it works okay, except for edges
> where I attempted to keep it from being like a solid object... In this case
> density rgb 5, instead of only 1, could be good enough.
>
> // test laser beam

I just discovered that you're right (and I was wrong, about this particular
case): A pure-color emitting media like <1,0,0>, along with an additional
absorption media of the COMPLEMENTARY color (<0,1,1>) and same density, does
indeed show true opacity, when both densities are made high enough. I guess I
didn't crank up the density enough in my original experiment(?). I see that the
same also applies to absorption + absorption (!), and
scattering + absorption, when using the complementary color. Thanks for your
scene code; I probably wouldn't have noticed this otherwise, in my own test
code.

Perhaps the 1's and 0's in both medias serve to 'cancel' any 'zero effect', when
used together.

So, the 'transparent color' effect (no opacity) is apparent only when using a
SINGLE pure-color media (or when adding the *same*-color absorption media to
it.)

But I'm still curious about the effect of zero(s) in a single media... ;-)