POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : CSG Bounding box algorithm : Re: CSG Bounding box algorithm Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG Bounding box algorithm
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Aug 2017 14:35:00
Message: <web.599f1c34818ca792c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:

> Well that's something I've needed time and again!
> Imagine how a render display would look if it could show arrows and labels for
> everything outside of view (ignoring the potential complexity!), or a way to
> make the camera find things with a simple look_at ObjectName (by extracting its
> defined location vector).

Yes, that's why I wrote it - I may have posted it here, if not, I'll do so soon
(remind me if I have a memory lapse)

There may be some include file / usage flag coding errors, but I hope to get
those fixed soon.

[incidentally, there are some issues with things like shapes2.inc that require
shapes.inc to work without error ...]

I'm also working on some experimental code to make "parameterized shapes" -
where you can have easy access to pre-calculated things like corners or edges or
faces of cubes, etc., as well as assign an object number to each new thing you
add to a scene.

I think that with a raytracer where mostly everything is defined with code, then
there needs to be a lot more helpful tools and examples, and algorithms, and
newbie-friendly, or advanced-accelerating snippets so that there aren't so many
instances where a seemingly small task turns into a computer-science-coding
_project_ to get past that single hurdle.