POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Revisiting SSLT with 3.7.1 beta 9 : Re: Revisiting SSLT with 3.7.1 beta 9 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:11:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Revisiting SSLT with 3.7.1 beta 9
From: Kenneth
Date: 8 Aug 2017 17:15:00
Message: <web.598a298b5151470f883fb31c0@news.povray.org>
> Am 07.08.2017 um 23:21 schrieb FlyerX:
>
> > I checked the release notes and I could not find any reference to changes in
> > SSLT since 3.7. Is there any new setting that helps with the mesh density
> issue, or should I just keep using subdivision to alleviate it?
>
> The latter.

I haven't tried experimenting with SSLT yet (other than rendering POV-Ray's
example 'candle' file), so I'm out of my depth here, but...

I've been reading the technical article "A Practical Model For Subsurface Light
Transport," recommended in the docs. Unless I missed something there, it doesn't
mention anything specific about the use of 'normals' on the mesh triangles.
FlyerX's 'coarser' mesh-derived example shows odd brightness concentrations
around what look like the edges of the triangles (the eyes, specifically.) So
I'm wondering if POV-Ray's implementation of SSLT --or *any* implementation--
takes 'smooth triangles' into consideration, and shoots its rays along those
interpolated normals? Just from his example, it seems not. (I apologize for my
lack of technical understanding of exactly how all of this works.)

OR, perhaps his mesh isn't being exported correctly (i.e., the normals aren't
being included?)

Just food for thought.