POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Revisiting SSLT with 3.7.1 beta 9 : Revisiting SSLT with 3.7.1 beta 9 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 02:43:37 EDT (-0400)
  Revisiting SSLT with 3.7.1 beta 9
From: FlyerX
Date: 7 Aug 2017 17:25:01
Message: <web.5988d9f2768fbed7efa0f190@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I tested SSLT with the new 3.7.1 beta 9 and I still found that it is affected by
the mesh density.

I tested a scene with a mesh with SSLT on the skin+eyes, a single area light, an
emissive background, radiosity, and anti-aliasing. The issue is most notable on
the chin, neck, and whites of the eyes. The SSLT translucency was 2,1,1 for the
skin and 0.2,0.2,0.2 for the eyes. See images below for more details.

Render with the mesh at about 130000 triangles:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0WPQb1iNGaYS1NFVWJ4eWF4U2c/view?usp=sharing

Render with the mesh subdivided to about 560000 triangles:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0WPQb1iNGaYUEItNGUwbFpGLVE/view?usp=sharing

Here is a PoseRay capture of the mesh densities
130k:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0WPQb1iNGaYVnpaQzktMk1IQXc/view?usp=sharing

560k:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0WPQb1iNGaYdmRRV0xMTjZValk/view?usp=sharing

I checked the release notes and I could not find any reference to changes in
SSLT since 3.7. Is there any new setting that helps with the mesh density issue
or should I just keep using subdivision to alleviate it?

Thanks,

FlyerX