POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Stacking stones without overlapping : Re: Stacking stones without overlapping Server Time
23 Apr 2024 03:35:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stacking stones without overlapping
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Jun 2017 14:45:01
Message: <web.5942d54dd8d105e9c437ac910@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> As Stephen said, placing lots of objects so that [they] don't overlap or intersect
is
> not trivial-- but it CAN be done, of course.

Well, I'd have to say that writing the code to do it isn't complicated, and may
indeed be "trivial".
Writing GOOD code that minimizes the number of intersection tests, and
efficiently fills the interstices IS a task that requires a fair amount of
education, knowledge, forethought, experience, creativity, skill, talent, and
inspiration.
But I think there are likely enough extant examples on the web of things that
are close enough so that he can implement it in a reasonable amount of time.

> With the proper coding in POV-Ray's
> "scene description language" (SDL), just about *anything* is possible.

Indeed.  :)  I like to keep everything in my scenes wholly in POV-Ray, and
completely generated by the SDL, if at all possible.
Sometimes it's not exactly "practical" - but proof-of-concept projects rarely
are.

Another thought just occurred to me - a wicked fast way to do something very
close to this, with no need for any sort of coding whatsoever.
It all lies in what Form you choose to code this in.  I'll just let that hint of
an idea Crackle on the back burner for a while until the coding for it becomes
Solid.

;)