POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Graphical projection comparison : Re: Graphical projection comparison Server Time
23 Apr 2024 20:40:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graphical projection comparison
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 May 2017 08:45:01
Message: <web.590b21eb3e0a9077c437ac910@news.povray.org>
> I created four new scenes comparing different types of graphical
> projection. You can see the results here:
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Various_projections_of_cube_above_plane.svg
>
> What I did was this:
>
> 1. model the scenes in POV-Ray
> 2. using "screen.inc" export the important points to a text file
> 3. import the points into GeoGebra
> 4. connect in GeoGebra the points using segments and polygons
> 5. export to SVG

eek.
I think that some of us have worked out a few rudimentary tools for making SVG
files that mimic some basic lines and shapes.
If and when I have the time and motivation, I could probably pair that with what
I've learned - and haven't forgotten - from the whole view frustum project, and
then use trace() to get screen coordinates.

Maybe a little macro could be worked out that - given the constants for defining
the image plane, the camera, and the viewing vector, would project a set of
given points onto that plane...

> This was the easiest way I could think of for creating SVG files using
> perspective projection.

"... fastest way, using what I had, and what I already knew"
Yep - I often have to do that as an expedient, just to _get it done._

Nice little project though.  :)