POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Bitmap To Prism Utility (Work In Progress) : Bitmap To Prism Utility (Work In Progress) Server Time
24 Apr 2024 05:02:19 EDT (-0400)
  Bitmap To Prism Utility (Work In Progress)
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 18 Dec 2016 09:20:00
Message: <web.58569aa3e3e0ec7c6ae7df010@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm working on a utility to convert black-and-white bitmap images to prisms. So
far I've written two programs (using POV SDL) in furtherance of this objective.

The first program displays the bitmap image and reduces it to a two-dimensional
array of TRUE/FALSE values where TRUE corresponds to a "white" pixel and FALSE
corresponds to a "black" pixel. (In actuality, the color of the target pixels
can be specified.) The next step will be to generate control points for
linear_spline or cubic_spline prisms. The linear_spline control points will be
relatively easy to generate although there are some subtle complexities. This
should be within my brain's limited capability. I think the control points for
cubic_spline prisms, on the other hand, will be much more complicated to
generate.

The second program displays the bitmap image and the prism object over it for
comparison. It will be very useful during development of the control point
generator.

So the reason I'm posting this WIP is that I'm hoping someone may have some
suggestions regarding the generation of cubic_spline control points. There's a
good possibility that this is going to require math that's beyond my ability to
comprehend. Thanks for any advice!

I will post a couple images to demonstrate my progress so far.

Regards,
Dave Blandston

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: