POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Not a render, but... : Re: Not a render, but... Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:02:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a render, but...
From: omniverse
Date: 14 Dec 2016 20:55:00
Message: <web.5851f6ddad7fccea9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> Am 15.12.2016 um 00:51 schrieb omniverse:
>
> > Recreate using SSLT? Simple enough, right? Maybe not. I tried animation frames
> > to look for good values of translucency and mm_per_unit.
>
> Ah, you folks make me mad! How come everyone and their uncle want to toy
> around the "mm_per_unit" setting?

Um... because it's there.  LOL

> No, seriously: Any visual effect you can achieve by tweaking the
> "mm_per_unit" setting can just as well be achieved by tweaking the
> subsurface settings instead.

I will have to take your word for it. I just haven't been able yet.

When I use a very large, or what I consider large, translucency number(s) the
effect again matches the real experiment but also makes the blocks too
transparent. In this case up to 20 or <20,20,20>.
I haven't tried different pigment numbers yet, and will look at the
documentation on SSLT in the meantime to see what I might have missed.

Bob