POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Using an ordinary watch as a compass : Re: Using an ordinary watch as a compass Server Time
23 Apr 2024 19:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using an ordinary watch as a compass
From: omniverse
Date: 14 Dec 2016 03:25:00
Message: <web.585100d1fbed9eaf9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>

https://www.dezeen.com/2015/10/23/breaded-escalope-touch-shadow-clock-vienna-design-week-2015/

> And then I was noticing how the sun came into my apartment, and thinking back on
> a solar energy model I made a few years ago, and Ingo's sunpos.inc file, and I
> recalled that an ordinary watch can be used as a makeshift compass.
>
> Orient the hour hand to point at the sun (accurately done with a blade of grass
> to cast a shadow across the hour hand) and then divide the angle between the
> hour hand and the 12:00 mark.  That's roughly South.
>
> I wanted to see how it worked, and get an idea of how far off it would be.
>
> So naturally I modeled it in POV-Ray   :)
>
> Seems to work ok, and be off by +/- 30 degrees - dead on at noon.

Interesting animation. Not sure why or how you did the sine wave type thing but
since 1 hour equals 15 degrees longitude that would cause some inaccuracy if not
near the middle of a time zone. And of course Daylight Savings Time, if in areas
using that.

As usual, I was making your description more complicated than it is. Shadow
across hour hand... then I realized I was making matters worse by imagining the
minute hand to be the hour hand! Found a wikiHow page telling about it but only
made matters worse before I realized the drawings weren't exactly right, then it
finally made sense.
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analog-Watch-as-a-Compass

I like that wall shadow clock. Someone made a comment about it not showing the
hour and minute differently, would have to guess. Not too much of a problem if
you know the general time of day already but overlapping would cause trouble.
Solution might be to use 2 different color lights.

Bob