POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiles just fine on Windows 10 : Re: Compiles just fine on Windows 10 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:48:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiles just fine on Windows 10
From: jhu
Date: 12 Aug 2016 18:05:01
Message: <web.57ae47987ce98816194284cc0@news.povray.org>
> Am 12.08.2016 um 10:38 schrieb jhu:
> > For some performance perspective on my stock FX8350 using the benchmark scene
> > and the same compiler flags (both using gcc 4.8):
> >
> > Ubuntu 14.04: 2 minutes 12 seconds
> > Ubuntu under WSL: 2 minutes 37 seconds
> >
> > If you want speed, you're better off running Linux directly on the hardware.
>
> It's nice to know though that the performance isn't too far off the mark.
>
> Can you give me a quick overview of how to set this thing up?

You have to update to Windows 10 version 1607. You can wait for Windows update
to update it for you or use the Windows update assistant from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After installing version 1607,  you have to enable developer mode:
Settings -> Update & Security -> For developers -> click the developer mode
radio button

After that, you need to enable Windows Subsystem for Linux:
Search for "Programs and Features", then click on "Turn Windows features on or
off". Now click on box for "Windows Subsystem for Linux" somewhere near the
bottom. Now reboot.

Still awake? After rebooting, open a command-line and type "bash", and wait for
your Ubuntu installation to finish. And you're pretty much done! So far, it
works the way I expect a text-based GNU/Linux system to behave.