POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Returning values from macros : Returning values from macros Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Returning values from macros
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 May 2016 09:45:00
Message: <web.574c42c785b41ebb5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
I'm playing with some power transmission towers that I decided to cobble
together.

No idea why - they just suddenly captured my interest, and a recent post about
catenary curves seemed to fuel my need to play with power lines in POV-Ray.

Anyway,  I'd like to be able to collect the coordinates of the attachment points
for the power lines so I can string the towers together...

However - yet again I got myself into a roundabout in a cul-de-sac and am
getting annoyed and frustrated (mostly with myself).

Searching the web and the forums doesn't yield much in terms of specific
examples, explanation, or instruction - which ideally would include caveats
about what doesn't work, will likely cause problems, and what should be avoided.
  Some good old fashioned "here's *WHY* you do it _this way_ and NOT _that way_"
would be best all around for clarity and longevity for folks who will be wanting
to understand the solution to this problem in the future.

Could someone please post a small, simple macro that results in a scalar, a
vector, and an array getting passed "out" to the global SDL world?

I want to collect a one-dimensional array as a "line" of a 2D array, thus
generating a list of connection points in one dimension, with the object they
are attached to being represented by the 2nd dimension - if that makes sense.
(PointArray[1][1] would be an endpoint on one object, and PointArray[2][1] would
be the analogous point on the second object, etc. )

Thanks!