POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Massively delayed Stop Render : Re: Massively delayed Stop Render Server Time
23 Apr 2024 16:58:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Massively delayed Stop Render
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Mar 2016 17:00:00
Message: <web.56ef0e944034445966dec5d70@news.povray.org>
> As for the delay when stopping the render, it is important to note that
> the queue of rendered chunks is actually a generic message queue, and so
> the image assembly thread first has to process all the piled-up chunks
> before it even receives the information that the render is to be
> stopped. (Or at least that's what I think is happening; I'm currently
> not deep enough into the details to say for certain. An alternative
> explanation might be that the delay is caused by POV-Ray struggling to
> release all the memory blocks holding the image chunks.)

Each thread has its own queue, so it is not that the backend does not receive to
stop request, but that the frontend is simply still busy drawing the finished
blocks. Then it will find the render statistics etc. in the message queue of the
frontend. It should be visible even in the task manager that POV stops rendering
by the total processor usage, which drops to one thread doing the drawing.

The solution is to have enough memory to hold everything in RAM as the effects
will go away for the most part.

Thorsten