POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Omni-directional Stereo Content : Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:54:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Omni-directional Stereo Content
From: Clodo
Date: 5 Mar 2016 07:45:00
Message: <web.56dad3d5976329954e8811590@news.povray.org>
> Hmm... presuming your CPU has N cores... what is N*forever?

A correct FPS target to avoid illness in VR is 120 FPS.
Oculus and HTC don't want to request high-specs GPU to customers, so it's stay
for the moment on 90 FPS,
but 120 FPS it's the future for next generation headset.
Sony already say that their headset (expected at end of 2016) will be 120 fps.

Also, unlike a normal LCD monitor, VR headset have screen-door effect
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen-door_effect )
caused by lens distortion.
Current headset (Oculus, HTC Vive) use a 2160 x 1200 panel, but it's expected to
reach a 4K for each eyes in a few years.

So, the future (2017/2018) target for VR will be 12K stereo (to obtain around 4K
in FOV) at 120 FPS.
A lot of pixel, around pow(forever,forever) :P

Currently i'm trying to create a simple scene,
a checked plane (for check projection),
mirrors in circle with some sphere at ground and floating (for check 3D effect).
Short in time, but can be looped, an evolution of this:
https://www.clodo.it/blog/mirrors/
Quick to render even in high resolution (at least with multithreading POV-Ray
3.7).

I now it's plain, newbie, weird... but my current objective is to create some
sample/reference video
at different resolution and FPS for testing in VR headset,
and testing if current videoplayers can reproduce it smoothly.

Maybe a correct approach if i render that with a custom/patched POV-Ray, sharing
it with VR community,
and when feedback are positive, integrate in POV-Ray main code (if you are
interested).

> I definitely need to bookmark this one.

I write a mail to the author of the article to inform him about this discussion.