POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : <no subject> : <no subject> Server Time
18 Apr 2024 02:06:53 EDT (-0400)
  <no subject>
From: Satadorus
Date: 4 Mar 2016 15:05:01
Message: <web.56d9e962c23a6d947220e180@news.povray.org>
At this moment I am rendering a video I did about 14 years ago or so.
(before YouTube...)

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0o0fgmyYYk

This remake will be in Full HD 1920 x 1080 pixels and at 30 fps.
The total video takes 10920 frames, so it will take a while :-)

I render with AA = 0.3 and Q = 9

And now for the questions:

I understand that you can let Povray render a 32 bpp image R G B + transparency
PNG file.

To do so I used:

  Output_Alpha = 1

and I changed my background to:

  background
  {
    rgb < 0.8 0.8 0.6 >
    transmit 1.0
  }

It looks like it works:
- the output file is a little bigger.
- when I view the output in Irfanview and select the Alpha Channel I see my
object ( a Piston) in white on (If I remember well) a black background.

QUESTION:

- Am I correct to assume that Povray only makes the rays that DO NOT hit an
object transparent?

- If I specify a greenish background and that colour also appears in my
rendering, is ONLY the background transparent? Or also part of my rendering.

- How can I use a series of Povray images to create an animation?
- - Years ago I used VideoMach. Are there better tools?
- - Are there tools to merge my animation with another video?

What I would like is a way to show my animation 'in front' of another video.
Like Blue or Green screen technique used for film and TV.

Any help is much appreciated,

- Olaf AKA Satadorus -