POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Problems with the Pre_Frame_Command : Re: Problems with the Pre_Frame_Command Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:39:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with the Pre_Frame_Command
From: Satadorus
Date: 4 Mar 2016 14:45:01
Message: <web.56d9e58446016ca047220e180@news.povray.org>
> "Satadorus" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Years ago I created an animation with Povray.
> >
> > See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0o0fgmyYYk
>

> I remember watching this on Youtube, and I was very impressed!
> I especially like the accurate involute gear profiles, and the manner in which
> you "machine" and assemble all of the parts using CSG and animation.
>
> I'd love to learn some of the skills you have   :O
> How many lines of code do you have, and how long did it take you to write it
> all?   How long does it take to render all the frames (How many are there?!!)
>
> Thanks!

Hi,

The code is not that big.
I wrote a kind of script to animate the parts:

1) declared each basic part in a macro
2) wrote a file that shows which parts are shown and how long and how they move
and their appearance.
3) used a Borland Pascal 7 program to assemble and insert file for each frame.
This program was called once for every frame with the name of the object ( like
"piston" or "conrod" ) and the frame number.

The animation runs at 30 FPS for 6 min and 4 sec. A total of 10920 frames.

It took weeks to run on a 2001 PC using and older version of Povray.
I just left it running when I was sleeping or away for the weekend. Luckily
Povray does not crash!

- Olaf -