POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Translating a "point" : Re: Translating a "point" Server Time
25 Apr 2024 14:00:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translating a "point"
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Feb 2016 19:35:06
Message: <web.56d391189941424f5e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> Translating a point is just the addition of some displacement to that point.
> You can also do a scalling like operation by multiplying that point by
> something like:
> <1,2,3>*<8,7,6> is equivalent to scale <8,7,6>

Right, it's easy and simple once you see the solution clearly.
I was (as usual) trying to overcomplicate it.
I had "translate" in my head, and wanted to put a vector into a statement, but
"points" are not POV-Ray primitives, and I was trying to use obj { translate {
.....   arrrrrgggghhhh.

Then I walked away from it for a bit, and I disabused my mind of that.

Though in some way it seems like it ought to be possible to do exactly that...