POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Blobs: Error 1: Negative Values: Holes! / Error 2: Alpha Value Overwriting? : Re: Blobs: Error1:NegativeValues:Holes!/Error2:AlphaValueOverwriting? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 06:33:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blobs: Error1:NegativeValues:Holes!/Error2:AlphaValueOverwriting?
From: clipka
Date: 12 Jan 2016 14:05:01
Message: <web.56954e01483525e5ad6fa18f0@news.povray.org>
Sven Littkowski <jam### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Okay, I found it out.
>
> The cruel truth is, that the Microsoft Visual Studio Community Edition
> Setup mixes up the DLLs for the 32 and 64 bit versions. Highly
> unprofessional. After the faulty installation, one is now still required
> to go into the PROGRAMS AND FEATURES section of the Windows Control
> Panel, and REPAIR that faulty installation (something that takes several
> hours). Just after that additional step, one can start to use the MS VS
> software.
>
> I think, this information should be published on the POV-Ray website on
> those locations, where they talk about own (custom) compilations of
> POV-Ray and what programs to use for it.

Nope, I don't think so. We can't address each and every quirk of each and every
piece of 3rd party software that may or may not be involved in building POV-Ray.

It is uncommon for Windows users to build their own software, unless they are
already familiar with software development, so it is (normally) safe to assume
they know how to set up a build environment, including working around whatever
problems they encounter -- and, also of high importance, know where to get
support for their build tools in general: If your MS Visual Studio Community
2015 doesn't install as you expect, the primary source for support is, and will
always be, Microsoft. Any support from our side on that process is purely a
gesture of goodwill.

I can perfectly understand your frustration, but the level of support you ask
for is frivolous.

> By the way, is POV-Ray written in C# or C++?

It's C++.