POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1 : Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 11:50:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1
From: clipka
Date: 15 Dec 2015 10:25:00
Message: <web.56702fb32ab8183ead6fa18f0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I hope I haven't gotten into meaningless or extraneous details re: your
> discussion.

Not at all. I consider it valuable feedback.

As for "a colour is a vector", one thing that bothers me very much about this is
that, although it matches the typical representation in computer graphics, the
physics of colours is quite different, and performing colour maths in a
3-dimensional coordinate space is just a very poor approximation of physical
reality. The relevant buzzword is "spectral rendering".

Making the colour type intimately related to the vector type ties down POV-Ray's
colour math to the RGB world, and hinders the development of modified versions
that support spectral rendering.