POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Should Parsing really take that long? How to speed it up? : Re: Should Parsing really take that long? How to speed it up? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should Parsing really take that long? How to speed it up?
From: ILM
Date: 4 Dec 2015 12:30:00
Message: <web.5661cce6fb84f5bafcb4e70@news.povray.org>
> (1) Put the .pov files on the fastest drive you have available
> (preferably an SSD) and render them from there.

Unfortunately this is not an Option right now. but it might be in the future.

> (2) Run multiple renders in parallel. You will need to make sure that
> "Options -> Keep Single Instance" is turned off, and then open multiple
> POV-Ray windows. (Keep an eye on memory consumption!)

I will try this.

> Also, make sure that input images don't have an excessively high
> resolution, and that the geometry you're rendering does not have an
> excessively high level of detail.
>

> That said, the piece of software you're using to generate the .pov files
> may be doing a poor job at creating good, fast-parsing .pov files.
>
> Most notably, POV-Ray provides two different ways of representing
> meshes: The older "mesh" format, in which the vertex coordinates and
> normal vectors of each triangle are specified directly as explicit
> coordinates; and the newer "mesh2" format, in which the vertices and
> normal vectors are instead specified indirectly via indices into a table
> of the actual vertex and normal vector coordinates. The latter parses
> noticeably faster, especially for large meshes -- not only because the
> notation is considerably more compact, but also because it is closer to
> the data structure POV-Ray uses internally, and therefore some
> preprocessing steps can be skipped.
>
> Also, if multiple objects use the same texture properties, maybe the
> generating software explicitly writes those properties over and over
> again, instead of defining those properties only once and then just
> referencing them wherever they are used -- which not only speeds up
> parsing time, but can also reduce memory consumption during the render.
> This is especially true if the texture properties include input image
> files like image maps or bump maps.

Unfortunately this is nothing we are able to change.

> > While parsing the console all over shows the following message:
> > "Possible Parse Error: PNG input image default gamma handling has changes for
> > pre POV-Ray 3.7 scenes; results may diffe from original intention. see the
> > documentation for more details."
> >
> > Would it maybe help even help to stop logging this error to the console every
> > time? If yes how can i do this? Or how can I solve the error itself?
>
> This is unlikely to have any major impact on parsing time: It is output
> at most once per PNG input file read from disk, and reading a PNG file
> typically takes considerably more time than writing the log message to
> the console.
>
> However, if you really get spammed by this message even though you only
> have a comparatively small number of input images, it would be an
> indication that there's room for optimization in your software that is
> generating the .pov files.

There are only 19 png files from 2 up to 100KB. So you are probably right, that
the Software adresses those files over and over again instead of loading them
once at the beginning.

As the files are really small I still would like to try hiding the error
message. Even this will probably not change anything. This might be the easiest
way to test for. So is there any way to stop the the console printout of the
errors?