POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : EPSpline + AutoHotKey Script : Re: EPSpline + AutoHotKey Script Server Time
24 Apr 2024 14:38:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: EPSpline + AutoHotKey Script
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 9 Sep 2014 11:30:00
Message: <web.540f1c685df4eb35e7df57c0@news.povray.org>
Ed Hynan <no_### [at] examplecom> wrote:
> On 09/07/2014 03:16 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> > A few things I'm noticing about this as I learn how to use it:
> >
> > 1.  I get "Only /EDIT and /RENDER may be passed to previous
> > instance"

I found a way to prevent that for now:
Uncheck "Keep Single Instance" under OPTIONS.
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.0/684/

I think somehow it ought to be possible.  Under OPTIONS there is the Drag'N'Drop
Destinaation - where one can choose Editor or Renderer.

Under Render there is "Select File and Render"

> > 2.  If I close POV-Ray and launch with EPSpline, it then wipes out my
> > previously opened tabs.

I'm guessing that as long as the tabbed instance is closed last, the tabs will
be preserved.

> It would be very nice if MSWindows POV-Ray had options that would make
> it simply render (and display) a files argument. I won't presume to ask
> the devs to add features, but if some options become (or are -- I could
> have missed them) available for that, then epspline can use those
> options if they are added to the command in the Edit->Preferences dialog.

See above - Are these 2 different things?
Maybe clipka can throw some light on this.

> > 3.  The lathe object is upside down when rendered from the .inc file,
> > as opposed to when it gets rendered via the temporary files generated
> > by EPSpline
> >
> > 4.  The prism object is 90deg from how it was rendered when called by
> > EPSpline, and since it isn't "at the origin", rotate and scale are
> > fraught with trouble.

> I covered this in the docs; select Help->"Help Contents" and then go to
> section 2.4 Useful Transforms.  I hope it is comprehensible: I am not a
> documentation writer (much tougher than coding).
>
> -Ed

Right on.  I guess that didn't sink in the first 2 times I read it.  :\

Thank you for taking the time to create and  keep developing this!

I suppose what I found odd, being new to using this, was that the temporary
files that get generated automagically render things how I'd want and expect
them, but that the include file doesn't include that transform, and that there's
not an export option for saving a copy of the temp file as a scene.
My thought is just that - the work's already done - why tell the user to REDO
it?  Just save the .pov file with the proper SDL already implemented.

I see that you have a lot of "constants" in the generated include file.
I was able to derive MOST of those on my own to see what was going on, but some
remain mysterious.  Taking all of the Y-values (and Z, in the case of the prism)
and subtracting them from the MAX of the combined X&Y's of the lathe and prism
flipped it upside down.That might be an option for generating the include file
so that it's closer to "native" - no transforms needed.  It also drops the base
down to zero.
Maybe just a "flip vertical" option one could do before export.

Would it be possible to allow viewing space to the left of -X values?  I had a
control point that hung out back there.

Would it possible to select a point I'd like to be ON the axis, and then SNAP
the whole object to the y-Axis based on that point's X-value?

I had some trouble with a few extra points floating around - but I couldn't see
them (so I could delete them) until I plotted them out.  Would it be possible to
select a point and then step forwards or backwards along the spline so one could
follow the points "in order"?

Just some food for thought and suggestions.
Again - great work - well beyond my present skill set.