POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Possible way(s) to install POV-ray on a cluster : Possible way(s) to install POV-ray on a cluster Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Possible way(s) to install POV-ray on a cluster
From: Christian Baun
Date: 2 Aug 2014 04:10:01
Message: <web.53dc9b9a7b1b3b9dce9901c40@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I want to install POV-ray on a cluster of Debian machines.

Compiling POV-ray 3.7 worked very well, but now I don't know what is the best
option to use multiple nodes with POV-ray together.

Some projects like MPIPOV [1] or other projects [2][3][4] look dead. Broken
links, no update since >10 years...

[1] http://www.ce.unipr.it/research/parma2/povray/povray.html
[2] http://pvmpov.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://www.wozzeck.net/images/pmp/
[4] http://www.verrall.demon.co.uk/mpipov/

Approach 1-4 are all related to patches which are either not available any more
or look quite outdated and incompatible with POV-ray 3.7.

This approach [5] looks quite helpful because it is not related to any patches.
It just splits the image calculation by row.

[5] http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~wrooney/present/povclust.html

What is the best option to create a POV-ray cluster?
Is there any project which makes use of MPI and is up to date?

Thanks for any help.

   Christian Baun