POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Lighting problems with CSG and sphere_sweep : Re: Lighting problems with CSG and sphere_sweep Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:52:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting problems with CSG and sphere_sweep
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 21 Feb 2014 08:10:01
Message: <web.53074f0273c4f924192ae5f10@news.povray.org>
"Mirfaelltkeinerein" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I experienced a problem with the lighting in a CSG scene, where a sphere_sweep
> is subtracted from a Round_Box: under certain angles the subtracted sweep gets
> dark spots and areas. This behavior occurs on version 3.7.0.msvc10.win64, on
> version 3.7.0.RC7.msvc10.win64, but NOT on version 3.6.2.msvc9.win64 (there
> everything looks fine).

The sphere_sweep object is buggy, especially with cubic splines.  The
development team is aware of these problems, but apparently solving them is very
sticky.

> Is there a solution to avoid this error?

For the short term, you might try out the SphereSweep module in the Object
Collection, which provides well-behaved approximations of sphere sweeps:

http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=SphereSweep&contributorTag=Cousin%20Ricky

Please note that the part of the documentation that says, "I have not
experienced artifacts with opaque sphere_sweep objects in POV-Ray 3.7, ..." is
incorrect as of this morning.  ;-)