POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Once again, the command line error messages : Re: Once again, the command line error messages Server Time
24 Apr 2024 02:08:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Once again, the command line error messages
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 2 Feb 2014 12:00:01
Message: <web.52ee795b1ec8c60192ae5f10@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 02/02/2014 12:58, Cousin Ricky nous fit lire :
> > Neither POV-Ray 3.7 nor UberPOV provides sufficient information when it fails to
> > execute the command line.  This has been a problem for YEARS with 3.7 beta.  On
> > 2012 December 30, Thorsten Froehlich claimed that this was an oversight, but I
> > was extremely disappointed to find that it was not corrected in the final
> > release.
> >
> > Once again, I have run across this situation, and once again, I spent an
> > unjustifiable amount of time busting my brains to figure out what I did wrong.
> >
> > I am requesting that FS#41 be reopened.
> >
> > POV-Ray versions: POV-Ray 3.7.0 and UberPOV 1.37.0.0-beta.4
> > Operating system: openSUSE 13.1 GNU/Linux
> > Hardware: Dell Inspiron 17R, Intel Core i7
>
> Can we have a scene to reproduce ?
> It does not seem to be in the SDL (as I got error reported with line and
> expectation when I write a scene...), so any reproduction ?

It happens whenever you have an error on the command line.  It's a front end
problem.  It doesn't matter what's in the scene definition file.

In this case, it was a shell script with the line:

  uberpov Prism_lamps[post] +gld$GLD +oPrism_lamps-3gm2gld

I had edited the two-month-old script and accidentally deleted the command to
set the shell variable GLD.  The result was the the message:

  Problem with option setting
  uberpov Prism_lamps[post] +gld +oPrism_lamps-3gm2gld
  Failed to parse command-line option

The message gives absolutely no hint what the "problem" is.  As +gld a new
option that isn't quite burned into my brain, it took quite a while for me to
figure out that 1) the problem was with +gld and 2) there was a missing
argument.

Most commands that don't make it out of the front end (including something as
mysterious a having a .ini file that most certainly exists, because you are
staring straight at it, but you accidentally saved it to the wrong
directory--took me about 20 minutes to figure that one out) will result in the
same inadequate message.  Try this one:

  povray nexiste[pas]