POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Problems with Object Collection uploader : Problems with Object Collection uploader Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Problems with Object Collection uploader
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 16 Jun 2013 14:50:01
Message: <web.51be079e7cbb476878641e0c0@news.povray.org>
My past few times updating RoundEdge uploaded only 20 files each time.  The one
change on my end I could think of was that I had switched from Windows to Linux.
 At the first failure, the Web browser I used was either Opera or Konqueror, so
I then tried Chrome.  Same problem.  I then looked at my Linux configuration,
but couldn't find anything relevant, other than possibly a limitation of 1024
simultaneous open files (which certainly couldn't have been responsible for this
problem).

Last night, I tried an upload from Windows 7, something I was loathe to do, as I
find Windows 7 a stressful and infuriating experience.  Even worse, the upload
screen would not function properly in Chrome, so I had to resort to Internet
Explorer.  Same problem.

Here are my findings:
 - The 20 file upload limitation is independent of the Web Browser.
 - The 20 file upload limitation is independent of operating system.
 - This has not always been a problem.  Some contributions from 2009 or
   earlier (including version 1.0 of RoundEdge) have more than 20 files.
 - The file upload buttons ("Choose File") do not work in Chrome for
   Windows 7.  They work fine in Chrome for Linux.
 - Colons are not allowed in the description field!  Is there a reason
   for this?

Unrelated:
 - Checking the server for updates from the README file fails if the
   contributor's username contains spaces.

I hope someone can be found soon to take over administration of the Object
Collection server, so that these problems can be addressed.