POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Realistic transmittance and filter at sharp angles of incidence : Re: Realistic transmittance and filter at sharp angles of incidence Server Time
19 Apr 2024 17:11:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic transmittance and filter at sharp angles of incidence
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 19 May 2013 11:50:01
Message: <web.5198f464873d8dde6949fcad0@news.povray.org>
"Simon Copar" <inf### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Right, didn't think of that. The poly_wave does not approximate the realistic
> angular dependence that well (it starts rising too quickly, makes the almost
> perpendicular regions too opaque), but I can just sample the curve by myself
> with more entries of the pigment_map (or just push 0.5 to something like 0.75).

Yeah, poly_wave isn't ideal for this purpose. Fine pigment_map entry
manipulation is a decent solution, although it would be nice if to have other
options available even for this (having only linear interpolation for map
entries can be frustrating at times).

> This will make the images so much better.
>
> Still, built-in method would be nice to have.

I agree.

Somebody needs to start a big wish list thread, for all those things we're dying
to have implemented in future versions :)

Sam