POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Errors in light attenuation and height field documentation : Errors in light attenuation and height field documentation Server Time
20 Apr 2024 06:35:49 EDT (-0400)
  Errors in light attenuation and height field documentation
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 24 Mar 2013 02:05:01
Message: <web.514e96c832b818e778641e0c0@news.povray.org>
I have found a couple of errors in the 3.7 documentation.

At http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Light_Source#Light_Fading in the
wiki and in section 3.4.4.1.9 of the 3.7 off-line documentation, an example
function is given to determine the brightness of a light source:

  #declare Intensity_Factor = function (LD,FD,FP) {pow(1+(LD/FD),FP)/2};

This should be:

  #declare Intensity_Factor = function (LD,FD,FP) {(1+pow(LD/FD,FP))/2};

At http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Height_Field in the wiki and in
section 3.4.5.1.5 of the 3.7 off-line documentation, the syntax statement for a
height field function reads:

  HF_FUNCTION:
    function FieldResolution_X, FieldResolution_Y ( UserDefined_Function )

The parentheses should be curly braces:

  HF_FUNCTION:
    function FieldResolution_X, FieldResolution_Y { UserDefined_Function }

In addition, the documentation does not explain height field functions.  I'm
having to figure out how it works by experimentation.

The 3.6 documentation doesn't even describe the syntax of a height field
function.