POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : An End? : Re: An End? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:02:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An End?
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 10 Mar 2013 10:30:01
Message: <web.513c981f76c5c07fd025e8e00@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> On 09/03/2013 6:44 PM, MichaelJF wrote:
>
> > but I think one has to meet reality someday even within virtual reality.
> >

> So, is it time to call it a day? The choice lies with the Pov-Ray community.
>
> Having said that the most prolific member is not a Pover. Out of 35
> contests DrNo has entered 83 images.
>
> Your opinions are welcome.
>

> --
> Regards
>      Stephen

I have only had the opportunity to submit to the challenge once, RL really has
hindered my ability to be a more consistent contributor.  I have noticed the
lack of entries (combined with the prolific entries of DrNo) and have had the
feeling that it would only be a matter of time before the question arose.

I do like the idea of challenges:

I have contributed to CGSphere (http://www.cgsphere.com/) where the concept is a
simple fixed sphere base to the scene.  The challenge has voting and commenting,
but no timelines or end dates (it has been going for several years now).  I have
not had the chance to submit recently, but it does still get new entries.  There
is a POV template available that I had submitted to them.

I have also contributed to 3DRender Lighting Challenge.
(http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=185).  In this challenge, a
fixed full scene is made available ( I usually have to do conversion to get it
to POV), and the challenge is primarily to light the scene, though there is room
for manipulation of the scene itself.  This one has a fixed deadline, but no
real voting or winner; rather users submit WIP and discuss or critique.

I am a fan of challenges such as these for several reasons:
- it helps stir creativity
- it helps with development of POV skills and concepts: the CGSphere has lent
well to CSG modelling, while 3DRender has helped me develop some lighting and
texturing ideas
- it pits POV against some of the big boys (in some cases I would modestly say
it does better!)

Perhaps there are a few things that can be done to TINACHEP (or a new off-shoot)
that can help.  It may be that the topic selection is a bit too abstract and,
especially novice users, may shy away from trying to develop a scene around the
topic.  Perhaps much simpler topics could help in this matter (see CGSphere).
Also, more interaction and user feedback could be helpful (ala 3DRender), either
via a specific newsgroup here (though I know it is not exclusively POVRay), or a
forum elsewhere.

It would be tough to TINA go, but in its present state, I can see how it becomes
increasing difficult for the admins to keep it going.

-tgq