POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : How to avoid the artifacts about height_map? : Re: How to avoid the artifacts about height_map? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 08:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to avoid the artifacts about height_map?
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 Jan 2013 22:00:01
Message: <web.50e8e7abd45462dac2d977c20@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> If it is made smaller on the BOTTOM, the intersection may not be solid in
> certain places there--it is just like using water_level.

Sorry, I was mistaken about that. I will try to explain it better: If the image
you use to make your height_field has any pure black or very dark colors, then
those parts of the height_field will be at or very close to the bottom surface
(y = 0.) If the bottom of your intersection box cuts into the height_field
*above* that distance, it will create holes in the bottom of the
height_field/intersection at those places (although the remainder of the bottom
surface will still be solid.)