POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : How to avoid the artifacts about height_map? : Re: How to avoid the artifacts about height_map? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 02:58:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to avoid the artifacts about height_map?
From: MichaelJF
Date: 5 Jan 2013 13:50:01
Message: <web.50e8752bd45462da7312b7a90@news.povray.org>
"Terry  Chen" <nwp### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I'm a rookie in pov-ray, and want to use height_map for water-simulation, I
> tried to use "intersecion" on the height_map,box objects, but caused strange
> artifacts, but I don't know how to solve it? Could someone help?

Meshes are not the best approach for water simulation (a height_field is a very
simple kind of a mesh). That does not mean that meshes are not suited
completelly to simulate water (see La Lument by Marc Lacquier, POV-Comp 2004,
who shows impressive results with meshes). Better suited are isosurfaces. Chris
Hormann has given an excellent tutorial about this issue:

http://www.imagico.de/pov/water/index.php?lang=de

Best regards,
Michael