POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Layering detail textures : Re: Layering detail textures Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:12:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Layering detail textures
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 9 Oct 2012 16:10:01
Message: <web.5074848c207c714ed97ee2b90@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> On 09/10/12 11:10, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> > I have a prop object I just finished creating, it is built from
> > individually textured elements.
> >
> > what I'd like to do is add detail textures to the whole thing, based
> > on image maps, but I can't figure out how to make it work.
> >

>    You mean layering transparent textures onto the textured CSG isn't
> working? ...I don't remember ever trying something like that, but my
> "POV-Ray instinct" tells me it should work (well, perhaps with some
> workaround).
>
> --
> Jaime

it is not working.  The texture shows up on the untextured surfaces (such as
clipping surfaces from differences and intersections) but not on the textured
surfaces.

A quick search shows a post from 2008 requesting extension of the texturing
system to allow overlays:

http://news.povray.org/povray.pov4.discussion.general/thread/%3Cweb.4799def8e1857b77c150d4c10%40news.povray.org%3E/

apparently you can only layer textures over previously textured objects if the
object in question is a single primitive.

This makes it nearly impossible - or, at least, unnecessarily dificult - to do
complex textures on csg objects.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
A.D.B.