POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Extensible functionality : Extensible functionality Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:53:24 EDT (-0400)
  Extensible functionality
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 17 Jul 2011 04:35:01
Message: <web.4e229e6db2d4d3cee5496b350@news.povray.org>
I understand that it's difficult to add new features with the pressures of a
full-time job to worry about, and it takes a very special sort of programmer to
be able to dig through the documentation to find just the right parts to modify
when doing a custom compile.

With this in mind, there is something I've been wondering for a long time, now:
Might it be possible since, if memory serves, version 4 will be a complete
rewrite anyway, that one of the improvements might be the ability to extend the
functionality with plugins?

I don't know how it would be accomplished, but it might allow features like
mechanics simulations, inverse kinematics and general collision detection to
name a few, to be added with a minimum of fuss.  And best of all, people wishing
to use these features need only to download the proper extensions, and not have
to worry about using different versions of the program.

Please tell me what you think of the idea.

Regards,
A.D.B.