POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Being able to call DLLs/SOs as user defined functions : Re: Being able to call DLLs/SOs as user defined functions Server Time
24 Apr 2024 03:38:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Being able to call DLLs/SOs as user defined functions
From: bugman
Date: 19 Apr 2011 11:45:00
Message: <web.4dadad69fa289b21d1576610@news.povray.org>
I would really like to see this. As far as I know, it is not possible.

Here is some sample code demonstrating a very simple Mandelbrot using the
'mandel' pattern:
camera{orthographic location <-0.5,0,-1.5> look_at <-0.5,0,0> angle 90}
plane{z,0 pigment{mandel 100} finish{ambient 1}}

Here is my weak attempt to create a Mandelbrot set using user-defined functions:
camera{orthographic location <-0.5,0,-1.5> look_at <-0.5,0,0> angle 90}
#declare norm=function(x,y) {x*x+y*y};
#declare fx=function(x,y) {x*x-y*y};
#declare fy=function(x,y) {2*x*y};
#declare Mandelbrot=function(x,y)
{norm(fx(fx(x,y)+x,fy(x,y)+y)+x,fy(fx(x,y)+x,fy(x,y)+y)+y)};
plane{z,0 pigment{function{Mandelbrot(x,y)}} finish{ambient 1}}

I am using PovRay 3.6.1

If indeed it is possible to render Mandelbrot sets in POV-Ray as user-defined
functions, then it should also be possible to render Mandelbulb-type fractals as
isosurfaces in POV-Ray.

I really like Mircode's idea of implementing a method to call DLLs/SOs as user
defined functions. This would open the door for users to explore all kinds of
amazing isosurfaces.

Does anyone know if MegaPov supports anything like this?