POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : [SDL] New instruction - Automatically joining objects : Re: [SDL] New instruction - Automatically joining objects Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:23:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [SDL] New instruction - Automatically joining objects
From: MessyBlob
Date: 19 Nov 2010 20:20:01
Message: <web.4ce72202eb5f60ccaddfbead0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   It's not possible to add a new keyword which would say "give me the
> transformations which were applied to this object" because there might
> not be such transformations stored anywhere.

Agree. However, it should be possible to write a _function_ that transforms
(positions and orients) a child object to a parent object as described. You'd
need:
- An origin and vector for each socket (as per original post)
- Additionally, a local 'up' vector for each socket, that is orthogonal to its
respective socket vector.

This 'up' vector would remove the last degree of freedom, to give a unique
solution for the transformation you [Warp] describe.

Some functions already exist for POV-Ray to do this - perhaps someone else could
furnish us with an exact URL?

The transformations thereafter would be like a 'hinge' connector in inverse
kinematics.