POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Run external code from : Run external code from Server Time
18 Apr 2024 12:56:36 EDT (-0400)
  Run external code from
From: H  Karsten
Date: 18 Apr 2010 15:50:01
Message: <web.4bcb6128e027238bdec81f370@news.povray.org>
ok it's possible to run external code before and/or after the rendering in
PovRay.

What if having a syntax to run it from inside the script like a macro

#declare Result=external_code_lua("Path/Name",Arguments)
#declare Result=external_code_python("Path/Name",Arguments)
#declare Result=external_code_php("Path/Name",Arguments)
#declare Result=external_code_perl("Path/Name",Arguments)
#declare Result=external_code_java("Path/Name",Arguments)
#declare Result=external_code_bin("Path/Name",Arguments) (using stdout as
return-value)

- to run an external code, then convert it's information into CSV
- calculate big amounts of values faster, like convert PCM(PackedMesh) back into
mech or mesh2
- making SDS externally and much faster (a thing, that can become _very_ slow in
PovRay)
- converting NURBS into Mesh or Patches
- having excess to hardware, not available from Pov-script
- making Pov-script interactive (like making a 80s-like adventure-game with
PovRay) (ok, for this PovRay would also need to have the option to run in an
infinite loop then, or you start PovRay with your script or .ini-file as
post-command from PovRay... I never tried this!)

Think of it: depending on the language using, you can make PovRay
object-orientated!

From my personal taste, I would like to use Lua. It's designed to be used inside
other programs, or scripts. It's object-orientated, fast, free, opencource (I
think its MIT-License) and small.

If it's to complicate to program this, still a "bin"-call would be cool enough
to make extreme nice things.

Best regards,
Holger

Post a reply to this message