POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : 3D printing : Re: 3D printing Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:54:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D printing
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Mar 2010 01:10:09
Message: <web.4ba0630f2d205d0f65f302820@news.povray.org>

> An example of somewhere this has been done is the candyfab project:
>
>   http://www.candyfab.org/
>
> see also 'Slicing STL files in POV-Ray'
>
>   http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/slicingstl

Good to see that they've posted the how-to info re: POV-Ray. (That was missing
when I looked at the site last year.) From a quick view of those sites, it seems
that you need to start with an STL file first, then convert it to POV-Ray using
their 'stl2pov' utility. I.e., apparently you can't start with a POV-Ray scene
that you've created. Am I wrong about that?

BTW, their stl2pov utility is pre-compiled as a binary, but only for Windows;
Mac users need to compile their own.

Ken