POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Real-micro-poly-displacement based on patterns and pictures : Re: Real-micro-poly-displacement based on patterns and pictures Server Time
16 Apr 2024 18:05:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real-micro-poly-displacement based on patterns and pictures
From: H  Karsten
Date: 17 Nov 2009 23:40:01
Message: <web.4b0379a1886514d6da6353d60@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> That's not possible. "poly-displacement" only works if you have polygons to
> begin with. POV-Ray doesn't use polygons for most of its objects.

I know, that the PixarRenderman can real displace also objects, that are
defined, using the RIB-Language, such as spheres or boxes.

A micropolygon is that part of an surface, that appears in the very pixel of the
image. (Every pixel builds a polygon) I don't know, if its based on normal
polygons. In the Renderman, you can displace *everything* except media. And a
lot of object are definitely _not_ polygon-based, like NURBS or patches. The
surface appears of other formulas (see posting before) +the
displacement-algorithm.

Maybe, its just the name of 'micropolygon' the may confuse.

Holger