POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Targa format specifics : Targa format specifics Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:14:05 EDT (-0400)
  Targa format specifics
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 30 May 2009 15:55:00
Message: <web.4a218df39d8a58d2231d6f4b0@news.povray.org>
I understand that POV does not use color-mapped images of any format, but I am
working on a program that reads targa files, and the information I've found
regarding the pseudo-color format is descriptively vague in places.  I'm hoping
that someone here can remedy my ignorance.

The documentation for the Truevision targa format states that color map indices
are stored in the image data as an integral number of bytes - usually one or
two - but does not say how to tell if it's one or two.  Seeing as how the
images can have depths up to 32 bit, I could see the index values approaching
four bytes but, again, there's no indication of how big I should expect the
index values to be.

Then too, the Targa format tends to put two byte values in little-endian form,
or maybe it places all numeric values in little-endian form, but this
information, which I would think important, is simply left out of every piece
of documentation I have found to date.

If anyone can help me with this problem, I'd be grateful.

A.D.B.