POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Mesh coordinates and animation : Re: Mesh coordinates and animation Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh coordinates and animation
From: Reactor
Date: 7 May 2009 01:00:01
Message: <web.4a026a31c4c8e8b828ee5ba70@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Reactor" <rea### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > > So a more practical reply to your question is "No, that's not possible - unless
> > > you're auto-generating the mesh using SDL".
> >
> > The mesh needn't be auto-generated, I've been tinkering with a script that would
> > permit the use of control points that would allow an existing mesh to undergo
> > various transformations.  The idea was to allow the user to specify a control
> > point or groups of points, specify their effect radius, and specify a
> > transformation for each.  The points within the radius would be transformed,
> > taking into account the effect of distance from that control point and other
> > control points.
>
> Um... if I understand you correctly, you're then still auto-generating the mesh,
> even though you wouldn't be using SDL but an external tool.

I'm not sure if I understand your meaning completely - when you say 'generating'
I tend to think of it as producing the coordinates for the mesh, whereas the
script is intended to read any pre-existing valid mesh2.  That said, the
transformation of the points are produced within SDL in response to the clock
variable or the user's desire.

That is to say, the external tool would modify the mesh2 declaration, for
example changing vector literals in the vertex_vector list into expressions
that produce a displaced vector with respect to clock (or whatever else the
users specifies).

-Reactor