POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very interesting color resolution examples : Re: Very interesting color resolution examples Server Time
29 Sep 2024 11:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very interesting color resolution examples
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 27 Apr 2009 07:20:00
Message: <web.49f594358b0909c76dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > http://nfggames.com/games/ntsc/visual.shtm

> I wonder if it is more that you don't see *colour* very well compared to
> brightness, not blue compared to green?

I remember once seeing the sun's power spectrum compared to the eye's response
spectrum, possibly at uni. The eye's spectrum follows the sun's very closely -
not suprising considering we evolved under its glare. This of course means that
we are far more sensitive to green light than red or blue, which are at the far
extremes of the visible range. I can't seem to find any refs for this
comparison, but there is a phototopic luminosity function on w'pedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity_function

....so this probably isn't cutting-edge news... still interesting to see it
demonstrated this way though.