POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : COBOL Wow : Re: COBOL Wow Server Time
29 Sep 2024 19:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: COBOL Wow
From: Clarence1898
Date: 13 Apr 2009 07:40:01
Message: <web.49e323ad11354d36a214f4f70@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > http://www.businessintelligencelowdown.com/2007/02/top_10_largest_.html
>
>   I can only imagine how expensive it is to backup all that information
> (and I have hard time believing they don't backup it). Not only is the
> backup medium expensive (because of the sheer amount required), but
> physically *storing* it somewhere must also be expensive (after all,
> physical storage space is never free). I also imagine that they want to
> store the backups in a secure location (from accidents, eg. fires, and
> robberies/vandalism), which can only make the storage costs several times
> larger.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

The company I work for is no where near as large as ATT.  We have a small to
medium size mainframe operation, with about 15TB of online disk storage and
around 120TB of tape for backup and archival storage. We keep a minimum of
three backup copies of all critical data, one of those copies is always stored
offsite. For legal reasons some data we have to keep more copies for a longer
period of time. For non-critical data we normally keep only a couple of copies
locally.  No it is not cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than losing the data,
facing lawsuits, fines, and going out of business.

Isaac.