POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : TC-RTC comments : Re: TC-RTC comments Server Time
18 Apr 2024 08:58:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TC-RTC comments
From: Hildur K
Date: 1 Sep 2008 12:00:00
Message: <web.48bc094ff7aedb2e80197cfe0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> The results are in and I am (happily) surprised to get a second place!
> Thanks to all!! And well done everybody!
>
> I would like to take the opportunity to answer to some of the more technical
> comments to my scene, mainly because they address problems and puzzles that
> I do not know how to solve properly.
>
> There are several comments about the rather flat shadows and the flatish
> contrast of the towers in the background. I know. And I wonder how to solve
> this. The truth is that there is only one (repeat: one) light source in this
> scene: the Sun. The luminosity (in Lightsys) has been multiplied by 3.5.
> There is no ambient finish used anywhere. No ambient occlusion. Radiosity
> uses the following settings:

Hi Thomas, I like you image very much! Actually my favorite this round. But they

default value. Which is 0.1 and therefore emitting light! So if you want to get
rid of ambient finish you have to write ambient 0 for every single material.
(My favorite is diffuse 0.9, ambient 0, looks realistic in most cases, except
for some metals maybe.)
If ambient is left to the default you lose the "shadows inside the shadow" if
you know what I mean.

Using a single light source like you did, is the best (only) approach in your
case, using
radiosity instead to take care of the shadow areas and should look great in

light wise.

It also seems that you are basing your radiosity settings on the default Pov
values which I have found fast but useless in most cases, the colors usually are
way to bright and saturated and everything looks flat and artificial.

settings there can be used as a base for you settings, even thought the
situation is somewhat different. They are originally
based on the Pov manual as the "best" but always have to be tweaked. Maybe you
should check it out.

http://www.simnet.is/hildurka/content/tut1page.htm

radiosity settings from some outdoor scene which have worked in the past.

Hildur