POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Contribution Questions : Re: Contribution Questions Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:29:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Contribution Questions
From: Blue Herring
Date: 8 Feb 2008 08:20:01
Message: <web.47ac56b0a44846eace5ce3790@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> The main things to worry about when preparing objects are the naming
> standards. These are intended to enable people to download different objects
> and use them together without running into naming conflicts which can be a
> devil to sort out in code you've not written.
>
> That's been a bit of a wordy response I'm afraid. Has it been any help?

Yes, actually its quite helpful.  Thanks very much for the response.  I can see
also some advantages of making the objects self-contained, so they won't change
even if another package changes in the future.

> p.s. It is possible to use the file_exists function to check whether another
> object has also been downloaded and to skip it, or incorporate a simplified
> shape if it hasn't. This is a good way of removing hard-wired
> interdependencies, while enabling people to use objects in combination if
> they already have a copy.

Good thinking.  Not sure if I have anything that will make this necessary, but a
good idea if I run into it.

Hopefully I'll be able to get to submitting some things soon.

-The Mildly Infamous Blue Herring