POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : (First?) Contribution Drive: Office Supplies : Re: (First?) Contribution Drive: Office Supplies Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:48:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (First?) Contribution Drive: Office Supplies
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 29 Jan 2008 17:10:01
Message: <web.479fa3d721a87b7ee2b2e7080@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> OK, after one week, I've had a submission from one person.
>
> Unfortunately, I was hoping for more than this :(
>
> So, I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Who would participate if given more time?
> 1b) How much more time would you realistically ask for?
>
> and,
>
> 2) Who would participate with a different subject?
> 2b) What subjects would interest you?
>
> --
> ...Ben Chambers
> www.pacificwebguy.com

First of all, thanks for taking the time to answer my question by email. When I
asked it, I really thought that I was going to get a submission in.  It turns
out that MOST of my weekend was spent as a driver-organizer-expediter for a
friend's father's funeral that I thought I would just be visiting briefly.

How much more time?  As near and dear as the members of the POV-Ray community
are to me, I'm afraid that many are nearly as bad as myself when it comes to
working under deadlines. The phrase "open-ended" comes to mind.

As for subject matter... To be honest, MOST other subjects would be more
interesting than "office supplies".  (I wasn't going to say anything since
contributing seemed a far nobler act than griping.) Perhaps it would work
better to make a list of categories available.

Finally, even though you said that you didn't want to clutter up the binaries
folder with submission code, I'm guessing that it WOULD be a good idea to post
example images as they come in because quite a bit of activity is generated
around here as people respond to one another's images with variations and the
like.  I think your project is a good one.  I hope that you won't be
discouraged by the challenges of working with a busy volunteer community.

Best Regards,

Mike C.