POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : I think I'm having trouble with underscores. : Re: I think I'm having trouble with underscores. Server Time
24 Apr 2024 03:42:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think I'm having trouble with underscores.
From: Charles C
Date: 15 Oct 2007 00:55:00
Message: <web.4712f18227705f80b87ba68c0@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> "Charles C" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > The other day I tried to upload a file to the collection
> > "scale_convert.inc"
> > containing a macro named "Scale_Convert()".  I did not use a prefix, so
> > that
> > meant that, if I understand things correctly, the file name before the "."
> > and the contribution-name needed to match.  That's where there was a snag.
> > It looks like an "_" is not considered a valid character in the
> > contribution-name field.  So to get around this, I renamed my contribution
> > "scale-convert" and the file-name likewise.
> >

> Yes. If you choose not to use a prefix, then the file names, macro names and
> anything else exposed to the scene file using the include file needs to
> start with the contribution name. If there's anything more to the name you
> can use an underscore character to separate the contribution name and the
> rest of the name. Because the underscore is used to separate the
> contribution name from the rest of the name you mustn't use underscores in
> the contribution name itself. I've actually removed the '-' from the
> permitted characters too, as this can't be used in macro names, variable
> names etc. The permitted characters for the different fields are listed in
> the users guide at
> http://lib-devel.povray.org/usersguide/04contributing.html#submission.
>
> I've zipped up a copy of the files you submitted having renamed the files,
> macros and exposed variables based on a contribution name of 'ScaleConvert'.
> I've added a scene file that illustrates the macro and a thumbnail that you
> may consider suitable for display on the search results (or you may be able
> to come up with something more imaginative). I'll email a copy to the
> address you gave during registration. If you'd like to check that you're
> happy with the files then resubmit them using a contribution name of
> 'ScaleConvert', it should work now. I've included the description and
> keywords that you entered within text files in the zip file. You can pull
> those texts into the submission form using the Browse buttons (I've made a
> few typographical changes to the description).
>
> > I also got some kind of an sql error message, apparently/possibly related
> > where I used quotation marks in my description.  I'm not sure.  I have the
> > exact error message copied down at home, but right now I am not at home.*
> > If it would be useful I can try to email it to myself and get it posted
> > here in the next day or so.
> >

> I was able to replicate this error and it was indeed to do with the quotes.
> I've fixed the problem on the server and removed the bits that were saved on
> the first attempt, which resulted in the error you got when you tried to
> resubmit. You should be able to resubmit now without such errors.
>
> > I wasn't sure that the system took the submission, so I tried again, still
> [...]

(First, Woohoo! I'm logged on from home!)

Thanks Chris!   Making a demo scene and everything, all I can say is THANKS.
:-)

I have a couple of questions which I'll try to find answers to.  Here
though, I'll try to be brief before my session times out and I can't get
logged on again.

One question is, what to do about something like this?  I copied the
View_POV_Include_Stack line from what's in a lot of the POV-Ray distro
#includes.  If fully compliant, the variable needs ScaleConvert_ at the
beginning but to be meaninful it needs to match what's in other #includes:

#ifdef(ScaleConvert_View_POV_Include_Stack)  #debug "including
scaleconvert.incn" #end

versus:

#ifdef(View_POV_Include_Stack)  #debug "including scaleconvert.incn" #end

Thanks again,
Charles