POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : model of a scene : Re: model of a scene Server Time
23 Apr 2024 08:58:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: model of a scene
From: honnza
Date: 3 Oct 2007 18:00:01
Message: <web.47040fd7c2e1f34da9ce4df50@news.povray.org>
Le Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Seems to be the right group, at least I hope so.
>
> I had too much time waiting for the 3.5, so I played with 3.1 ...
>
> I tried to represent a scene with some UML goodies (not strictly sticking to the
> standard), and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to replace the layered_texture
> (in Cyan in the picture) with a layered_pigment (in Green), because it is rather
> how it works in reality.

If you cover some parts of a mirror with paint, you don't get the mirror
finish on the paint. Rather you get one texture of pure reflection partly
covered with little reflecting green surface. This is what you get with
layered & patterned textures.
If you want a common finish to multiple textures you should use a clear
texture over multiple pigment only textures because it is rather how it
works in reality :-) (a thin film on the surface is what usually does
reflect)
But I agree layered pigments might come in handy though layered textures do
exactly the same (apart from metallic, I presume). One warning, though:
multiple textures each containing a finish get their finishes evaluated
separately, tracing one ray multiple times