POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : POV-files greyed out : Re: POV-files greyed out Server Time
19 Apr 2024 00:49:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-files greyed out
From: FurBall
Date: 29 Oct 2006 11:15:00
Message: <web.4544d2c43bf398bf2985afc0@news.povray.org>
> FurBall wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply, Thorsten!
> >
> > I tried that, but the greyed out files just don't show up in POVRay.
>
> What do you mean with "just don't show up", yet you also say "greyed out"?
> Clearly, both cannot be the case, so you omitted some step you took, which
> is likely the clue to explain and thus correct your mistake.
>
>     Thorsten

OK, here's what I mean:
I select File/Open and most of the files that I see, are greyed out.
I select "All Documents" from the Enable-pulldown-menu and all files become
selectable
- If I select a .pov-file that was previously NOT greyed out and press
Enter, the Text Editor-window opens and when I select the Window-menu I see
the pov-file.
- If I select a .pov-file that WAS previously greyed out and press Enter,
nothing happens. No Text Editor-window, no pov-file in the Window-menu, no
error-message.

The same happens when I double-click a .pov-file in Finder. POVRay starts
and:
- a file that was NOT greyed out (in POVRay) opens as expected
- a file that WAS greyed out (in POVRay) is not displayed in a Text Editor
window, is not visible in the Window-menu and I get no error-message.
---------

In the meantime I tried something else:

I moved all POVRay-folders to another harddisk, so it's no longer in the
Applications folder where I "installed" (copied) POVRay.
The behaviour is the same as described above, EXCEPT:
- when I copy the text of a greyed out test.pov-file to the clipboard in
TextEdit, paste it to a New file in POVRay and save it with the same name
test.pov (overwrite it), close test.pov in POVRay and try to open it again,
it's greyed out and will not open, etcetera.
BUT,
- when I copy the text of a greyed out test.pov-file to the clipboard in
TextEdit, paste it to a New file in POVRay and save it with a NEW name
testnew.pov, close testnew.pov in POVRay and open it again, it will open.

It looks like some files have a (MacOS?)-attribute that is no problem for
Finder  or TextEdit, but is for POVRay.
When POVRay saves a new file to disk, this file doesn't get this attribute
and is handled properly by POVRay's File/Open.
So, I have a (terrible) workaround and/but would still like solve this
problem.
Thanks for your help!!