POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Importing templates not working on 3.6 : Re: Importing templates not working on 3.6 Server Time
24 Apr 2024 22:13:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Importing templates not working on 3.6
From: Apollo 16
Date: 9 Aug 2006 13:40:00
Message: <web.44da1d9b9d914eb0b82c8b5f0@news.povray.org>
> Apollo 16 wrote:
> > In theory, is the following procedure correct?
>
> No.
>
> > Should I be able to import into templates a simple POV-Ray text file (for
> > the sake of argument let's say... cylinder1.pov from the scene folder in
> > the original 3.6 download) by using the pulldown templates menu, clicking
> > on import, clicking on From File..., selecting cylinder1.pov with POV-Ray
> > text file selected in the pulldown and clicking open?
> >
> > This procedure doesn't work for me.
>
> A POV-Ray scene file is not what you can insert this way. I have to admit
> the documentation does not go into a lot of details, but what the file
> import is for is the import of the "old" Mac template file format. It was
> documented in the previous versions of POV-Ray that supported it. Unless
> your file is in that format (which means it has to contain special markers,
> but is otherwise more or less a scene file, just with multiple templates),
> nothing will show up when imported.
>
>  Thorsten

One mystery solved. It's too bad that I misunderstood what that function was
for. It would have been a great time saver for me to be able to import my
own templates. (Pouring through the actual uncompiled POV-Ray code to
figure out how to fake the header is just too much like work.)

Thanks!

Apollo 16